7.29.2012

Reflection | Time


Three people living off of one income is hard. It's no joke. But amidst the monthly budgeting, sacrificing of the latest trends in fashion I spotted on Pinterest, and choosing the Mac & Cheese instead of that In-N-Out burger...again, I, a former shopaholic, have just one lesson that I want to share with you today:

Money doesn't buy you time.

Nor can you substitute it.

The other day, some friends of ours told us about their plans for their day off. Plans that didn't involve their kid.

Now granted, I cherish these friends. And I know parents need their "me" time or a "date night" or just need to time to grocery shop without worrying that their toddler will drop the can of spaghetti sauce on aisle 7. And I know, I don't know every part of their lives or see how their lives unfold day in and day out.

But their comment left a sour taste in my mouth. And made my heart hurt a little for their kid.

Maybe it was the delivery of it all. Or maybe it was my jealousy.

Because time is precious. Time is sacred. Time is a blessing. And time is not promised.

There have been so many things I wish I had the money for to buy Michael. Or I would stress out about being able to provide the best for him, being able to pay the tuition for future school and (gasp) college, to be able to allow him to join all the sports leagues his heart desires, or to simply pay for next year's Disneyland Annual Pass.

But just looking back at his two years of life, I don't wish I had money to buy those things. I actually wish I had more time. To cherish those special moments. I wish my husband could experience what I see everyday. How Michael grows and changes every second. I wish my Dad had more time to meet Michael. I wish my Mother-in-law had more time to see how he's really counting now. I wish my Mom had more time to not have to work, but to spend it with her 2 growing grand kids.

But our friends have that time. And I judged them.

I judged them because I wouldn't say that. Because I wish I had more time like they do.


~Kristina

11 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I definitely wish there were more hours in the day. Thanks for the reminder to cherish each minute and enjoy my daughter. Thanks for following me. I'm following you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine what we would we be able to do with just 1 more hour in the day?

      Delete
  2. Hi Kristina! I think you're following a few of my blogs from Mom's Monday Mingle. I still have to check the other sites. I liked reading your posts. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful and to enjoy every moment we have with our kids.

    Now, about Disney World... I'm hoping to go with my family next year. We'll be in Florida visiting my mom, step-dad and more family. We went in 2002 and it was so much fun experiencing all the wonders of Disney World with the kids. My youngest was 2 at the time. Now I have a new youngest who is 4 years old.

    Have a great week and thanks for following my blog(s)!

    Tina - mom of 4, author and blogger of 5 blogs
    http://abooksandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Kristina! I was just telling my next door neighbour (who is like a nana to my kids) about how I felt bad because I couldn't afford to buy a Pottery Barn backpack for my daughter for the first day of Kindergarten. Then when we went to a play date on Sunday, my friend show us her daughter's new backpack. It was the same one I wanted for my daughter. She works full time and I am a stay at home mom. I wish I could afford to buy my little darling the gorgeous backpack but I give her so much more daily, my time, my attention...Me! Your post helped to re-enforce my feelings on this issue and help remind me that the quality time I spend with my toddlers is more important than a fancy backpack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to purchase some moccasins for Michael, but just can't bring myself to spending $60 for them. I did come across another blogger whose son had them, but like your story, she works full time. She often blogs about how hard it is to leave her little one in the morning and her struggles with working. It's a give and take.

      Delete
  4. Loved this post. It's definitely a tough balance - of time and of judging. I have people in my life who work 40+ hours a week and then are passing the kids off to grandparents or babysitters on the weekend. As a SAHM, I just "don't get it" and my heart aches for their little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I don't get it too. I try not to judge, but after all that time away from your kids, wouldn't they want to spend what time they do have with them?

      Delete
  5. So well put. I'm struggling as I get ready to go back to work and leave our 4 month old at home. What is most important. Should I be working? Or should we sacrifice other places? Only time will tell. but then time is precious.
    Your newest follower following back from Monday Mingle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Elizabeth I question myself daily too. I often hear that I should work from family and friends, yet, we're actually doing well financially without me working. So what would I be working for?

      Delete
  6. Excellent journal all will get innumerable data for any topics from this journal nice work keep it up.

    ReplyDelete