8.15.2012

Bumbo Recall

Remember this post from earlier in the year?

A chord struck my heart today as I heard the news that Bumbo issued a voluntary recall.

From their website-
August 15, 2012 – Bumbo International Trust is conducting a voluntary recall to add a restraint belt and new warnings to the Bumbo® Baby Seat. Infants can maneuver out of or fall from the seat, posing a risk of serious injuries. Working closely with the CPSC, Bumbo has determined that the potential safety issue can be readily corrected in the home by adding a restraint belt. In addition, Bumbo is providing a new warning sticker for consumers to attach to the seat to re-emphasize existing warnings against use of the seat on any raised surfaces.
Consumers should stop using their Bumbo Baby Seats immediately, and complete the order form to obtain a free Repair Kit. The kit includes a belt with a new warning sticker, installation instructions, proper use instructions and a new warning sticker. There is no need for consumers to return the Bumbo Baby Seats.
Consumers should take the following actions in conjunction with this voluntary recall:
 
  • Install and always use the restraint belt.
  • Apply the new warning sticker over the existing warning on the back of the Bumbo Baby Seat.
  • Follow all usage instructions and never use the Bumbo Baby Seat on any raised surface.
  • Discontinue use of Bumbo seat cover accessories that interfere with installation of the restraint belt.
Again, please visit the Bumbo website to see if your seat is part of the recall. It covers all seat colors sold from August 2003 through August 2012. That's... a lot of Bumbo seats to say the least.


~Kristina

3 comments:

  1. I have a bumbo seat, W/ a tray. I think its ridiculous because parents should NEVER leave a child let alone a BABY unattended on a raised surface, EVER in there lives! Seriously, It's more like a lack of parenting skills rather then the chairs fault. I mean come on, its common sense. Don't leave your baby unattended on a high surface when he/she is not of age to know how to safely get down/off. Please tell me you get what I'm saying...I wont be contacting bumbo to receive restraints, because I don't use the chair like that, it's always on the floor. (: But I do however feel bad for the babies who have been injured/seriously injured, from misuse of the chair. ):

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTH? I had no idea they had been recalled. My husband just old me he heard it, but failed to tell me.... :-/ My daughter has been out of the Bumbo for some time, but I still plan to send it in. They can be dangerous if you are not watching your child. I sat my daughter on the bed with me while I folded clothes and watched her pop one leg out & push herself onto the bed. She was about 4 or 5 months at the time. That was probably the last time we used it. If they are moving around that much.....you need to put them in something else. Now she sits her "babies" in the Bumbo. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kristina for visiting my blog and liking my project, I like your blog as well and I am following you back. Have a wonderful day,
    Erika
    www.boulevardelantique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete