12.12.2012

Thoughts On Life | Dream Job Part 1


When I was younger, I had a dream of what I wanted to be when I grew up.

A Sports-person-reporter-announcer-blogger-personality-something-along-those-lines.

Not an athlete. I wanted to be the next Hannah Storm. Or Erin Andrews.

Yet coming from your typical Filipino family, that was unacceptable.

And I knew I definitely didn't want to be a stay-at-home-Mom. Because where was the fun in that?

At a young age, I learned good work ethic. At 10 years old, I volunteered at what became my first job at 14. I worked my summers and vacation off (Christmas and Easter) from school working with my mom. She worked for the school district where they hired "student aids" as I was called.

I learned a lot about hard work and responsibility & continued to work here until I graduated from high school.

The summer right before college, I dabbled in some retail. I even was hired at a store that I loved shopping at. Let me tell you. Retail jobs, no matter what the store, requires a lot of work. A lot.

I eventually had to quit because college came.

I continued to work in college for a research department which hired college students and worked with their school schedules. Yes, I found this job through Craigslist, which I may add was not as sketchy then.  It was pretty neat. I could essentially have classes on Tuesday and Thursday, and work Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and every other Saturday.

The money was decent. I wasn't a starving college student as most people made things out to be. But I was run down.

We know the story of what happened with that job, as I decided to leave the college.

When I moved back home, I found a work-from-home job, again found through Craigslist. (This was the "good job" I talked about in my last post.) Didn't work out because the company was sold to a larger company based out of Northern California.

What did all of these jobs have in common? I basically worked my butt off just so I could move out and try to pursue what I thought was my dream job.

I then began working for an environmental management company. At the same time, I found my dream job. Or what I thought was my dream job.

I became the Managing Editor of an NBA player's website.

But guess what? My dream job wasn't as I had dreamed it would be.

What I thought would be the most, fun and amazing time surely had it's moments. But it was work. Hard work. Work that demanded a lot of me.

Not work that I couldn't handle. But rather, work that made me resent sports. Work that took the fun out of what I enjoyed the most.

I learned at this time that being a fan of a sport and actually working it did not go hand in hand. Well, at least for me it didn't.

Many people can probably argue that maybe I didn't find my right fit in the industry. Or I just didn't meet the right people. Or I took for granted my opportunity. Or that I'm being dramatic.

But what I knew is what I experienced. I learned here that for me, this wasn't my dream job.

Because when you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life.

When you do what you love, you're working your dream job. 

I didn't love this job.

I had to do a lot of soul searching at this time. And coincidentally, I became pregnant.

To Be Continued...


~Kristina

4 comments:

  1. Love this story! I totally agree that when you're doing what you love, it makes hard work worth it!

    Following along from the blog hop how :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a simply concept that many of us have a hard time grasping. But I'm finally glad I'm getting there.

      Delete
  2. Great post. It's interesting to look back at all of the different jobs and experiences that lead to us where we are today.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and following...doing the same!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete